Wednesday 15 October 2014

How to Deal with Poor Customer Care: an Arsenal.


The word “Arsenal” is an English noun, defined as “a collection of weapons” or “a group of things or people that are available to be used.” Coincidentally, I am a fan of the English club, Arsenal FC…but that’s a story for another time. So you are a Ugandan, who from time to time has to deal with service providers. I will phrase that again. Many of us have to deal with service providers everyday: the shopkeeper (or supermarket attendants and cashier), your mobile service provider (because life without data on your phone is not really life), the teller at the bank, the waitress at your coffee and cake place, and the list goes on and on. Put simply, you are a customer or “kasitooma” of some sort somewhere in some way. However, you are constantly, if not always, battling with feelings of anger and frustration because someone is not doing their job and that is now your problem. You have tried Facebook and Twitter rants, yoga, praying in tongues, and crying, all in vain. Well, you’re in luck! I, being a peace-loving and jail-phobic Ugandan, have come up with a few weapons that may be helpful.

1.     Call them out on their bulls**t

Excuse the language – I’m trying my best here. This is a very effective method when you are dealing with individuals. Regardless of how forbidding they look and how scared you are, you have to stand up for yourself. Trust me – I have tried the meek, humble and polite attitude. How do I say this nicely…. IT DOES NOT WORK!!! You leave with all your anger, without transferring ANY of it to the person who is actually to blame. See how that is a problem?

So take my word for it. If they are being slow, you tell them that while they are comfortably seated at their workstation, you have a life outside that you need to get back to. If they are being rude, you inform them that you are the reason their job exists and they really ought to treat you better. If they are being unreasonable, you say so. You do this calmly, with clear succinct arguments. You stand your ground and speak your mind. You deserve top class customer service. It is your hard earned money lining their pockets and getting those nails manicured anyway.

2.     Ask for the Supervisor

I do not guarantee that the supervisor will be better than the person they supervise but every once in a while, you get lucky. Sometimes, the supervisor does not even have to show up. The threat is however usually enough to galvanise people into action. In the event that the Supervisor shows up, it’s important to reiterate your complaint and ensure that it is followed up.

3.     Walk away

Some customer service systems are so messed up that not even the Lord can save them. The calls don’t go through, social media complaints are ignored, and a new issue comes up everyday. This might be the time to get out of that abusive relationship and enter a less abusive one. I changed my mobile service provider and a new peace came into my life. Last week, my roommate and I went to 2 places before we settled at a 3rd place for dinner. What happened to the first two? I’m glad you asked. We walked away. It’s their loss because we won’t ever go back.

I realise now that these aren’t weapons per se, but rather methods that have worked for me. So the weapons we can draw from my experience are: assertiveness, persistence, and in cases of extreme pressure, removing yourself from the situation.

You are welcome.


2 comments:

  1. Ophelia, you have a coffee and cake place? Some on.
    About the supervisor, you reminded me of the time Martin Ssempa had the same issue with people, he was like, always say, I want to talk to your supervisor.

    Otherwise, loved the post. Will pick a few pointers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a coffee and cake place YET but it's one of my ambitions in life. :-) Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it.

      Delete